Dubai Visa, Residency and Sponsorship Questions and Answers

Can I come on a visit or tourist visa to Dubai, find work and start working immediately?

It is illegal to work on a visa other than a valid employment visa in Dubai. However, you may come on a visit or tourist visa and actively search for jobs in Dubai. Under recent legislation pertaining to employment visas, successful candidates who are hired by Dubai employers are required to exit the UAE pending release of their Employment Visas.

Clearly, any employer asking you to start work immediately or without a valid employment visa is not in compliance with legal requirements. If you choose to begin work without a valid employment visa, you:

  1. give up you chances of using the Labour Code or having the Labour Ministry to mediate your case in the event of a dispute with your employer;
  2. run the risk of being caught, fined and deported. You will also be blacklisted such that you may never return on an employment visa to the UAE. In many cases, illegal laborers spend jail time prior to deportation and their retina scans are kept active to effect the blacklisting.

Can I apply for an employment visa myself?

No, you can’t do that on your own. Employment and residency in Dubai work within a system of sponsorship. An employer is the appropriate party to apply for an employment and residency visa for employees. This means you have to have been hired prior to the application for your employment visa.

How does the UAE’s system of sponsorship work?

An employee’s designated sponsor for residency visa is their employer, whether the respective company is operating within or outside of Free Zones. Dubai or UAE residency is temporary and normally valid for three (3) years but may be renewed. The visa is stamped on the face of your passport.

UAE Laws require resident aliens (foreign nationals) to be primarily sponsored by a UAE national (citizen). UAE nationals may be direct private sponsors, as in the case of a UAE national hiring a domestic servant or, they may be indirect sponsors, as in the case of business employees. Businesses are able to sponsor their employees mainly because a UAE national is a partner, owner or a majority shareholder of the business-sponsor.

Besides being sponsored by my employer, how else can I get a UAE residency visa?

You have three options:

  1. Set up and register your own company in Dubai. Your business can then be your sponsor. Note however that you’ll be required to have a local partner, i.e., a UAE citizen.
  2. Set up a consultancy off of a free zone to become eligible for both residency and work permits
  3. Buy a property so that the property developer becomes your sponsor for residency. Note however that this does not entitle you to work in the UAE.

Can someone who is not a UAE national sponsor a resident?

Yes. This is possible through secondary sponsorship. Secondary sponsors are sponsored residents, usually employed males who would like to have their wife and children live with them in the UAE.

Can women be secondary sponsors as well?

Yes, women can sponsor their children if they’re divorced or widowed.

Can a married woman sponsor her husband and children?

Yes, she can, but only under certain circumstances and with prior approval by both the Depart of Labour and the Department of Immigration and Naturalisation. Wives sponsoring husbands are not customary. In most cases, approval is granted if the wife-sponsor has a profession of strategic and economic importance such as teachers or medical personnel.

What are the qualifying criteria for secondary sponsors?

Employed persons may sponsor only their immediate family, and must meet the minimum salary requirement for sponsorship. The consent and signature of the primary sponsor is required before an employee may sponsor their family.

Whose residency can I sponsor so that they can reside with me in the UAE?

  • Your spouse. This means either your lawfully-wedded husband or wife. This does not include a same-sex partner, even if such person is a lawfully-wedded partner.
  • Your children. These are male and female offspring under 21 years or unmarried daughters over 21 years.

What does being a secondary sponsor mean?

Secondary sponsors are responsible for their dependents whilst such dependents are residents of the UAE. This means you are responsible for their financial support, debts, if they incur any, and all aspects of life and living whilst they are under your sponsorship, including their conduct and behaviour.

Also, as their sponsor, you are responsible for the visa, processing fees and other related costs for obtaining the residency permit for your dependents. This is not your employer’s responsibility and they may not be obliged to assist you beyond giving their consent to your sponsorship. However, in some cases, employers may provide employees with visa-assistance benefits for employees to bring their families over.

Can I acquire permanent residency in the UAE?

No, you can’t. Residency in the UAE is only temporary. However, it is renewable.

Can I acquire UAE citizenship?

No, you can’t. An expatriate is not eligible for UAE citizenship. UAE citizens are defined by law to be only those persons born of parents who are both UAE citizens or born to a father who is a UAE citizen.

What happens to an expat’s child born in the UAE?

The child takes on the citizenship of the parents who must then apply for temporary residency status for their child under the secondary sponsorship system within three months of birth.

What right does temporary residency NOT include?

Temporary residency status is not concurrent with the right to work or seek employment in the UAE, nor does it guarantee employment. Sponsored children under 18 and freehold property owners over 60, whose residency is sponsored by the respective property development company, are not eligible for employment in the UAE. All other residents may go through the usual application process to be legally employed. Legal employment in the UAE is evidenced by the Labour Card.

I have a valid UAE residency visa. I’d like to spend some time in my home country. Will my visa still be valid when I return?

Assuming your UAE residency visa is not expiring within the next six (6) months, you can stay outside of the UAE for at most six months and return on the same visa. Staying outside of the UAE for more than six months at a time automatically invalidates your UAE residency.

What is a “ban”? How do I get banned?

A ban is a legal mechanism that prevents a resident or an employee from re-entering the country or from accepting a position with a new employer for a fixed period of time, usually for six (6) months.
A permanent residency ban may be imposed on serious labour offenders, such as illegal or absconded workers, illegal aliens or convicted felons. Fingerprint samples and retina scans of banned individuals are kept on file by the Federal Department of Immigration.

A labour ban is mandatory. You get banned when:

  • Your contract expires and no action pertaining to your employment has been taken by your current employer, or no new application by a different employer is filed for you.
  • You terminate an unlimited labour contract before completing one year of service.
  • You terminate a limited labour contract before its expiration.

How do I NOT get banned?

  • Your current employer must have taken appropriate action with the Department of Labour to extend your employment with them prior to the expiration of your labour contract;
  • Your sponsorship must have been transferred with a different employer. To effect this, certain conditions must be met, otherwise, your Labour Card will be cancelled and you will be banned.

How do I have my sponsorship transferred from one employer to the next?

Your limited labour contract must have already expired or you must have performed at least one year of service under an unlimited labour contract. As your current sponsor is required to issue a No Objection Certificate (NOC), they must have no objections to the transfer or their conditions must have been met prior to the issuance of such certificate. In any case, this is usually discussed by your current and prospective employers. The NOC is required for the transfer of your Labour Card and both must be filed with the Department of Labour. In addition, you can only transfer sponsorships under the same labour category. This simply means your new employment must be for the same position, e.g. Accountant to Accountant, Manager to Manager.

What is the NOC? Can my current employer be legally ordered to provide this document?

A No Objection Certificate (NOC) is a formal letter by your current sponsor addressed to the Department of Labour and the Department of Naturalisation and Immigration to prevent you, the employee, from being banned after completion of your labour contract or in the process of transferring your sponsorship to a new employer. This is entirely discretionary and must be freely given by an employer. No employer may be forced to provide an employee with a NOC, under any circumstance, even after successful completion of a labour contract.

Join us. Boost your Dubai career!


  1. Mansoor Ahmed says:

    Dear Sir
    iam 21Year Male from Pakistan i ask 1 question how many age requirement in Dubai Work Visa

    • M.K. Safi says:

      I have heard references to age requirements for the issuance of employment visas to Dubai, but could not verify it at the moment. Nonetheless, unofficial sources say candidate must be at least 23 years of age.

    • Hi Mansoor,

      As per Labour Law, the legal age requirement is 21.

    • Dear Mansoor,

      As per labor law, you must be 21 to work in the UAE, although 20 is accepted in CERTAIN companies under a specific criteria

      All the best


    • Nate Raza says:


      Please help me out with the age requirement here! Can I get an employment visa at the age of 19 IF a company is willing to sponsor me?

      Your response would be highly appreciated!


      Nate -

    • Well when I started working in Dubai I was 21 years old so its should be ok i came to dubai in 2009 so theer should not be anyproblem for you to work since you are 21 years old

    • What documents required if i sponsor my wife and what is the salary ceritria.

    • hi i am holding a uae tourist visa for 2 months… can i search a job on tourist visa coz my friend told me that rules has change in uae i can only look out job if i have visit visa ….tourist visa is not valid for searching jobs pls suggest me


    • FRED INGRAM says:

      Dear Sir,

      Travel Guide Consultant provides professional, cost-effective legal services for all aspects of immigration matters.

      We do assist Visitors,Business,tourist & Job seekers (skilled & unskilled jobs) in procurement of Canadian visas ,

      We can assist you through the immigration process no matter where you live currently, and no matter where decide to

      Visit or work .

      Take an advantage of our Quality Service and discover your true Self.

      NOTE: We do provide Documentation for visa procurement only.

      Best Regards,
      Fred Ingram

      Travel Guide Limited

      OFFICE # 14B
      TEL/FAX :+(353) 91- 447- 248

  2. Hello Mohammed,

    I work as an HR and PRO for our company in a free zone.
    I had encountered age problems for ladies under 25 yrs. old and w/ certain nationalities such as Russia, South African…
    The Immigration even within the Free Zone are very strict with this. But of course, there are exemptions so long as you can justify the work or position to be given to the employee. (include, degree certificates and the like).

    Maximum age for employment is 65 yrs. old. – w/ exemptions on position and nationality.


    • Hi Sherry,

      As you are working as a PRO in a freezone company, so I have some questions which I would like to ask.

      I am currently working in Abu Dhabi in a LLC company (non-freezone) from the last ten months. My contract is unlimited contract.. Now I am getting a job in a Freezone company of RAK. My current employer is not giving me the NOC. I will cancel my visa and 6 months automatic ban will be applied on me by the Labor….So, can i change my job if I ask my current company to cancel me?? Can I come again on a Freezone visa?

      After cancellation I will have a month to leave, so my freezone visa can be issued during this period, and I can go back to Pakistan and then return on this new visa?

      Kindly help me.


    • Hello Hassan Ali,

      Freezone and Non-Freezone Companies are two different entities.
      Your current visa needs to be cancelled first before the freezone company applies for your new visa.
      You don’t need an NOC letter from your current company.
      A LABOUR ban is not applicable if your visa is applied on a Freezone company..
      BUT!!!! pls. be cautious as some companies, give an IMMIGRATION BAN.. if they do this.. then even a freezone company cannot sponsor your visa.. and you have to go out of the country AND cannot come back to the UAE until your old company lifts this ban.. I don’t know how they do this ban because for a company to put this on an employee, they would have to make a bad story about you.. that you did something in order for the Immigration to put this ban on you.

      Good luck!

    • Hi Sherry,

      I saw couple of posts from you on this forum, they were quite informative. I have some questions for you and would really appreciate if you can answer those.

      I got a job offer from a company, they are offering me Work Permit which will lead to Residency later on. I am wondering if I can bring along my family with me. If I can than what kind of visa I should apply for them. My family includes my wife and 4 months old daughter.

      I would really appreciate if you can tell estimated cost of visas for both of them.

      And also once I get my residency I believe their visa status will have to be changed too, in that case do we have to leave UAE and get the visa stamped ?

      Thanks in advance.

    • Dear Sherry

      Well i was just 21 years old when i came to dubai on a residence VISA they will ask the employee alot of questions but they need to be firm in their answers cause most of the Immegration office tent to tell lies what they had told me is i need to be 35 years old to work in dubai which was was not the fact i asked them to show me on which papers it is mention that i need to be 35 years old to work in dubai they just try to scare you and nothing else. I am presently working for fedex and i have a freezone visa



    • Hello sir. Can u people sponsor my visa to dubai to work for you,

    • Ian mcintosh says:

      I am a 65 year old engineer and have been offered a job in Dubai. I am British. Will I get a work visa?

    • Hello Ms. Sherry,

      Are you still connected or still working as HR and PRO with the same company until now?

      Is there any job vacancy in your company that I can apply for? I hope you can help me with this, would you?…Please!!! I really want to work there in Dubai, as a matter of fact I was there for a short visit last month and tried to apply for several jobs in different company but unluckily didn’t get one…. I just got back here 4 days ago and always checking my email for replies from those companies. If possible, how can I send you my CV? I really hope to hear from you the soonest. Thank you very much and God Bless! Here’s my email address:

    • Yes Sherry, its true, Now Dubai governemnt trying to control human traficking which is mostly routed thru russia………girls having age below than 25 years are seldomly providing visa unless they are accompanying with their parents.
      Its just conuter measure to prevent prostitution in UAE.

  3. I would like to make a comment about working without an employment visa. Some situations, such as under Father sponsorship or Husband sponsorship.. can work and stay at their current family sponsorship. So long as the main sponsor gives a non-objection letter/certificate to your employer. This is legal in Dubai Media City so long as the employer applies for your Non-sponsored ID and of course you have your employment contract.

    • Dear all,

      To emphasize on Sherry’s point. The NOC is mandatory for all employment switching and transferring.

      NOCS from companies will be provided at the company’s discretion and they have no obligation to give you one in any case.

      Thanks Sherry


    • hi.. i am unmarried 22 yrs gal living in india. i would like to come to dubai to work.Is there any special rules for unmarried gal to live and work in dubai? i have got my relatives there at sharja and dubai.they told their company will sponser me.

    • Jerry B says:

      Sorry to come in on an old thread. I’m nearing completion of my current 2 yr contract and contracting with a new employer (same profession). If my current employer does not issue a NOC, does that mean that I am required to go through the entire process again? Also, does it matter if you are switching from the public sector to private? Since I’m staying IN country I would like to keep everything in place: car loan, cell numbers, bank accounts, internet, etc. The thought of doing all the attestations/stamps/papers etc for me, my wife and three kids again makes me a little sick to my stomach. :)

  4. jennifer jamili says:

    i have been to Dubai 3 months ago, i found a job but then i have to be back home because my visit visa was expired and the working visa wasnt applied yet, now they told me that they will process me working visa.. it took me 3 months of waiting and my laggage is still there, i cant wait another month to get back Dubai coz my laggage got an accedent so i decide to file for a visit visa. Now my employer emailed me that they also already process my working visa. My question is, well my on goin visit visa appication can creat problem to my working visa? I am thinking that which ever visa will comes ahead i will fly using it because of the problem i am carrying reagrding my laggage. Please enlighten me on what to do. thank you very much!

  5. If the employment visa expires is there a grace period of one month to renew the employment visa?

  6. Hello im 21 years old unmarried i my father will sponsor me to go to Dubai with him and my mom.
    1. Can i work legally on Dubai?
    2. You said that the maximum age for employment is 65 yrs old, if my father turns 66 he is not able to work any more and he has to live the country?
    3. there is no way that me as an immigrant can live my whole life there?

    Thank you for your time!
    Your page is great!

    • Dear Giancarla,

      The answer to your questions is as follows

      1)Yes and No, to legally work you either need to be on the company sponsorship, or your father(current sponsor) needs to provide a signed NOC letter addressed to the company you wish to join stating he has no problem with you working there(applies only for females). Males HAVE to be sponsored by the company.
      2)Sadly yes, that is the rule here. Certain companies may seek permission if your father is completely healthy and capable to work further than the age of 65. But this will come at a price, he may not be able to get various insurances and other specific needs
      3)Life is the UAE is classed as from birth till 65. Thats the law, although most of us dont agree.

      Hope all that helps, and you enjoy the UAE


    • haider Malhi says:

      very good your thinks.and u r good person
      03318451609 plz call me.

  7. I have working visa as an engineer, can i sponser to my hasband & son? please inform me

  8. Hi,

    I’d like to ask about sponsoring a child to live in UAE.

    I’m Egyptian, living in New Zealand and My wife , the New Zealander, lives and works in UAE because she got a job offer there and then a permit to stay there.

    She needs to sponsor our daughter , the New Zealander as well, whose age is 3 years and few months.

    Can my wife sponsor our daughter?!

    Thanks alot for your time and effort


    • Hello O,

      She can sponsor your daughter:
      1. Passport copy of child
      2. Original Birth Certificate – duly attested by the UAE embassy where she was born
      3. Passport Photos
      4. Her employment contract – i think the minimum salary is 8k (call 04 3980000 -Dubai Immigration)
      5. NO Objection Letter – from Father, stating that you do not have any objection for your wife to sponsor your daughters residence visa and stay in Dubai. (Attach your passport copy as well).
      6. Marriage Certificate – Attested by the UAE embassy in where you got married.

      Birth certificate should be attested by the UAE Ministry of Foreign affairs too.

      Fees – AED 500 approx.

      Good luck!

  9. Dear Sir,

    I would like to know how long can i stay in Dubai UAE, if i have tourist visa for 60 days? Like for example my tourist visa was issued Aug 18, 2010 – Oct. 16, 2010, but I am still in my home country. If I am to exit in my country at Oct. 10, 2010 and I will arrive in Dubai at Oct 11, 2010, until what date can I stay in Dubai?

    Thank you!

    • Hello Priscila,
      You will have another 30 days upon entry in Dubai.
      Count from the day you entered the country (Dubai) that is the validity of your visa.

      Good luck!

  10. HI,

    I have a doubt, me & my husband are both employed in different companies, as the recessions strikes my husband lost his job and wants me to sponsor his visa while he’s jobless, is it possible to sponsor him.How much salary package would be the ideal to sponsor a husband?

    • Hello Hanizza,
      You can sponsor your husband, I think the minimum salary for the wife should be 8k.
      and I they can give him a 1 year visa till 3 years depending your job title. (Doctors.. )

      Once he finds another work, let him transfer the visa to the new company.

      Call 04 3980000 – Dubai Immigration..Just be patient in calling.

      Good luck and God bless!

  11. Hello – I will be moving to Dubai for my company (operating in a free zone). I will be sponsoring my wife once I get my residency in Dubai. Question is: can my wife setup/start a business with my NOC? If so – any website links or info on getting this sorted out?

    Thanks in advance. Cheers

    • Hi,
      have you gotten any further in finding your answer? I am also interested to find out if I can start a small business on a residence visa sponsored by my husband. Thanks.

    • Dear Wman,

      Your wife may start a business based on your NOC, but she will have to obtain a special visa after the business has been started. This visa is a resident visa but will have a designation such as ‘Partner, Owner, Invester, etc’

      Better job security if she has her own visa from her own business.

      Good luck

  12. Abdul Shariff says:

    I am changing jobs so will be cancelling my current residency, and my new employer will process my new residency. How does this impact my family and maid who are all sponsored by me? Do I have to cancel their visa and re-apply for them also? Or can their visas be transferred to my new one?
    Does it make a difference whether or not they are in the country? (family is back in UK for holiday, maid is still in Dubai).

    • Hey Abdul,
      You can check the main immigration if they will accept a deposit for your family and maids visa. They will require a confirmation from your new employee that they are processing your new visa. I think the deposit is about 5k? it varies, so better check with them directly. The money will be released once your new visa is released.

      Normally, when the main sponsor (which is you), will be cancelled, in order for them to apply for a new one. Before the new employee does that you have to cancel your family and maids.. but the deposit for guarantee so you dont have to cancel theirs.

      Good luck!

    • Try calling this number.. 04 3980000 (Main Immigration) – near Etisalat bldg. in Bur Dubai.
      Or better go there directly, bring copies of your passport and family, just in case they want to see it.. Approach an Officer directly… and show them the docs.

  13. Hi
    I want to know after cancelling my residence visa how many days i can stay in uae.



  14. i just would like to ask, if we can join the new employer freezone, while we are waiting for the cancellation of visa from the old private employer?

    • Dear Anna,

      If you’re old private employer visa is under cancellation you may not be able to join the freezone company as they operate under a different set of rules and regulations.

      I recommend you push the PRO to cancel the visa ASAP and immediately submit your passport to the freezone company and start work simultaneously.

      If a labor check happens, you will be spared from any trouble when your freezone company tells the officials that your labor contract is under process.

      Hope that helps


  15. My labor card will expire on 01/01/2011. Should post a resignation or can just inform the HR not to renew my labor card.

    If so should I give them a notice period. Can they ban me for 6 months in the Labor to hold me from joining a competitor?

    • Dear Anita,

      Since your labor card is expiring and you decide not to let them renew your labor contract, you will receive NO ban.

      I also recommend that you put everything in writing, this will work out in your favor later if a sticky situation does arise.

      All the best


  16. Now i am working a new freezone company in to sponcer my wife. what are the documents need.

  17. Jaibu George says:

    My brother working in Dubai, last 3 month his company did’t give him salary. so he can change his sponsorship with out NOC?

    • Dear Jaibu,

      That is dreadful to hear!Companies in Dubai have a major issue when it comes to paying salaries on time. This is what you can do

      1)Investigate why the company has’nt paid the salaries
      2)If your brother is willing to lose his job(if he has no interest in staying in the UAE) he can file a complaint with the Minstry of Labor.

      If your brother has been working for more than 1 year in the company and he has a university degree he can move to a new company without a ban. Otherwise he has to complete 2 years in the company from the date of issue on the labor card(New rule January 1, 2011)

      Hope that helps


  18. Anas Ummer says:

    Hello there..

    Is it possible to change my sponsership or job if i have a travel ban?? plz answer me..thank you..

  19. Hi,
    I’m currently having a free zone visa and i have sponsored my wife and she is in dubai. Now i heard that our company is moving out from free zone. So the company is going to cancel our free zone visa and gonna get a visa from ministry of labor. My question to you is, should i cancel my wife’s visa and then get a new visa for her or should i just go and deposit the 5k and do something? I’m having now different knowledge from different people. So i’m confused. Please someone guide me.
    Thanks & Regards

    • Hello Riznas,
      Both are correct.. either you cancel her visa and re-apply for a new one once your new visa is issued… usually takes time. so if you cancel her visa, she will only have 30days to stay in Dubai to re-apply for a new one.. I would think that would put too much pressure on you.

      The second option which the Immigration is offering is that you don’t cancel your dependants (wife) but deposit a certain amount to them until you have your new visa issued. This I think is much more economical, because it saves you the amount of paying the new fees for re-applying for her new visa and medical expenses… the deposit (i think about 5k) will be fully refunded to you.. so it’s just like putting the amount to a bank and withdrawing it after a month or so..


    • Thanks Sherry, I really appreciate your help. Will do that.
      Thanks a lot…

  20. Ben Thomas says:


    I would like to know if it is possible for my wife to sponsor me for my Residence Visa? I believe this is possible, as long as she earns at least a certain amount.
    I have not been able to get an exact answer for this next question. If I am on a Residence visa which has been sponsored by my wife, will I be able to get a Labour Card (Work Permit) once offered a job with a company, without the company sponsoring a new Residence Visa for me?
    I want to remain on my wife’s sponsorship for residency, not the company’s. I would only get the work permit through the company.

    Thank you in advance.

    • Hello Ben,
      This is not possible. In Dubai it is not allowed for men to work when they are under their wife’s visa sponsorship. As compared to women, when they are under their husband’s sponsorship, they can be allowed to work, so long as the husband gives a No objection letter to the company allowing her to work for them.. this does not apply to men. Your company will be in trouble if the immigration or labour finds out they employed you when you are under your wife’s sponsorship.


  21. My husband had resigned from his old job and is joining a new private company. He have had his visa cancelled from the last company and also started the process for a new employment visa. However, he had exceeded his 30 days stay which is legal but how long more can he stay while the visa is being process?

    We contacted the Swedish embassy and they advise that as long as the new employment visa is in process, he would just have to pay the daily fine of 25 dirhams until the visa is ready. This have been confirmed also by the PRO of the new company. I am just in doubt.

    Anyone know if this is true?

    • Dear AM,

      The information you have received is 100% correct. It is unfortunate that the fine of 25dhs per day is imposed, I highly recommend you pressurize your husband’s new company to finish the visa process ASAP.

      Hope that helps


  22. HI

    Good day!If one is under father or husband’s visa and would like to work in dubai, what are necessary documents needed to legally work in dubai?

  23. Can an employer get an insurance (for healthcare workers) with the absence of employment contract?

  24. Hi Sherry,

    Thanks for your response. I have resigned from my current company of Abu Dhabi but they did not accept the resignation and not even return me after signature. My new company is from RAK Freezone and they are waiting for my cancellation papers so they can issue my visa.

    Kindly let me know what should I do if my company is not cancelling me and threatening me that they will black listed me and I will not be able to come to UAE ever.


  25. hi! just want to ask about transferring of visa. I am working for almost one year and 5 months in Sharjah with resident visa under my company’s sponsorship. Since my father is also working here and I am still unmarried, is it possible to transfer it to Father’s Visa? Will I also be banned to work in UAE for 6 months if my present visa is transferred to Father’s sponsorship?

  26. Hi! just want to ask if there if it is possible to transfer a resident visa (company sponsorship) to father’s visa?

    • Dear Cathy,

      Unfortunately no, once you leave your father’s sponsorship you can not go back onto it.

      Hope that helps


  27. Hi there!

    I just want to know if it is possible to be a co sponsor to my father to bring my sister here in Dubai?

    Here is the scenario:

    My father is working as a Golf caddy which you know that earns a little. Now, I’m also working here in Dubai and work in 5digits salary. The question is, if my father wants my sister to be sponsored under him to get a residence visa for her, can i be included as co sponsor so that at least will meet the required salary? or should i proceed with first degree sponsorship which will required 5k security deposit? AFAIK, father’ sponsorship is up to 3 years Visa while first degree (if i will sponsor her) is 1 year only. That’s why i’m pushing for Father’s sponshorships.

    And can you tell me the requirements for first degree sponsorship. Thanks in advance.

  28. russeth barque says:

    Dear Sir,

    I just want to ask that i can sponsor my brother here in dubai even my visa is servant only????
    i hope you can help….

    thaks a lot

    • Dear Russeth,

      To sponsor your brother, your salary needs to be atleast AED 5000.

      Double check this please

  29. Hi Nash,
    I am a working mother and am very much interested to work in the UAE. With my experience, I am aiming for secretarial and admin. Will I be able to sponsor my husband should he wants to join and stay at home with the children first? And may only go out and work after we have really settled down there? Please advise. Thank you and wish you a happy 2011!

    • Dear Rashidah,

      Allow me to shed some light on your question. In the UAE women can sponsor their husbands under the following circumstances

      1)The wife needs to be a Teacher, Doctor or Nurse with a salary of atleast AED4000
      2)The wife who works in any other than the above fields needs to have a salary of atleast AED12000

      So to be specific in terms of your question, No you can not sponsor your husband if you chose to go for an Admin or Secretarial position

      My advice is that he finds a job in the UAE with a minimum salary of AED 4000 in any field(no restrictions) and he can sponsor you, and in turn he can issue you an NOC and you may also work

      Hope that helps

      Happy 2011 to you too


  30. Hi Sherry,

    Some changes to the UAE labor laws have been made recently. I would like to know if I change my co. where I have an unlimited contract and have completed 3.5 years of service (and my contract has been renewed in july ’10 for another 3 yrs) do I still need an NOC to move to a no-free zone company? i am a manager with a salary of AED 15k.
    pls advise,

    • Dear Ahmed,

      To move to a Free Zone Company from a non FZE you do not need an NOC. To avoid the ban when moving from a non FZE to a non FZE you need an NOC.

      Hope that helps


  31. Hi,

    I have an offer with another company here in Abu dhabi. I have already completed more than three years with my current employer and just got my visa renewed last october and it is transferable (company will give me an NOC). Now, my daughter and her nanny is under my sponsorship. Is it possible to transfer their visas once I got mine transfered or I need to apply for their new visas?

    • cyrill skaria says:


      I have an offer with a company in ras al Rak free trading zone. I have already completed more than 20 months with my current employer and it is unlimited contract. Now, my servent(house maid) under my sponsorship. Is it possible to transfer their visas once I got mine transfered or I need to apply for their new visas?


  32. VINU MANKAD says:

    Hello Nash

    Currently i am in visit visa for 90 days sponsored by my wife and it will be expire in 3 days.My wife is a REGISTERED NURSE and working in a clinic of free zone.her salary is above 4000dhs.can she sponsor me for residence visa ?if visa is granted can i stay here and change my visit visa to family sponsorship ? awaiting your reply

    Thanking You

    • Dear Vinu,

      Since your wife is a registered nurse with a salary above 4k in UAE. She can sponsor your residence visa here. Bare in mind that you will not be allowed to work under any circumstance while you are on her sponsorship even with an NOC from her. In order to work, you will need to be on a company’s visa.

      Hope that helps


  33. Dear Nash,
    I am working in Abu Dhabi with an unlimited contract.i completed only six months with my present employer.Now i have an offer from Jumeirah Lake towers free zone in Dubai.As per the new rule what will be my status of changing the job.Whether i will be imposed any ban or fines by MOL.
    Please reply ASAP.


    • Dear Shabeer,

      As per the new rule and old rule, when changing from a non free zone company to a free zone company, there will be NO ban what so ever. You may however need to pay your current employer their visa fees and labor card fees. Check with your HR about this, or look at your offer letter or contract

      All the best


    • Hello Shabeer,
      You have to make sure that your current company doesn’t give you an Immigration ban.
      There is a Labour Ban as well which is accepted by the Free Zone authority. If you have an Immigration Ban – The Free Zone authority wont be able to process your visa.
      Hope this helps.

  34. SANU THOMAS says:

    How many days I can stay in UAE after completion of my UAE residence visa.

    • Dear Sanu,

      Once your residence visa has expired, and for what ever reason it is not being renewed, you can stay in the UAE for 30 days. This is known as ‘Grace Period’

      Hope that helps


  35. Good day,

    I’m planning to sponsor my wife under husband visa here in Dubai. What is the procedures and requirements? Do i need a tenancy contract? because that would be a problem to me.

    Hoping for your reply. Thanks in advance.



  36. Rania Essa says:

    Dear Sir,
    I am Rania Essa ,Egyptian and got a Job opportunity to work in Dubai in trading a deputy manager Accounting and finance ,my educational certificates:
    -Accounting & Computer Diploma (2 years)-Faculty of Commerce- Alexandria University.
    -B.Sc. commerce – Accounting section- Alexandria University.
    I want to ask if I can sponsor my family (Husband and 2 kids (daughter 16 y-Son 13 y))to live with me in Dubai at my own cost?
    your early reply will be highly appreciated..Thanks
    Rania Essa

  37. hii
    dera sir/ madam

    please tell me what is the minimum salary requirment for visit vissa for my brother come from india on my sponcership.

  38. Dear Sir,

    I am presently employed with a company, due to recession, no have less work my sponsor is willing to give me NOC for six months to work with another company under their sponsorship without changing my visa. And if I find another job, my temporary employer will be responsible for my salary and things. Tell me according to U.A.E. LAW is this feasible or not?

  39. Ahmed Ali says:

    Hello! sir,
    I want to go to Dubai on a visit visa and and apply for job for settling in Dubai itself
    after getting a working visa. would it be possible? Kindly do favour for me.



    • Dear Ahmed,

      Inquire with your travel agent, they will be able to help you in getting a visit visa for Dubai. Once you get here, you can job hunt. Once successful, you’re new company will help you in getting your residence visa.

      All the best


    • Dear Nash,

      Kindly advise whether father name will be mentioned along with applicant name in the employment visa.

      Thanks in advance.

  40. dear sir ,
    asallam walekum i am staying in mumbai india looking for primary teacher jobs in dubai school, wants a family visa,how to go about it.

    thank u ,
    taranum khader syed.

  41. Good morning Sir,

    I am in my fathers sponsorship in between I got married & have one baby girl 1&1/2 yrs. Unfortunately I got divorced . I would like to bring my baby here did my father can sponsor her? Kindly give a immediate reply.

    Yours faithfully

  42. Dear, I signed an employement contract 3 month ago, and i am working in UAE ( dubai),In my contract it is stipulate clearly employer will take care to provide my working visa. After 3 month nothing has been done by my employers. What shall I do? My employer is a local company based in UAE.
    thx, Michael

  43. Dear Sir,

    I went back to India on emergency leave for my court case. Now my passport is in the Indian Court. Company is terminated from my job. & they put my name in the absconding list.They have not been cancelled my visa yet. Now i’m in India. I sponsored my wife & my child. Is there any problem for my family to come back to dubai & returned to India. Please advice me asap. I highly appreciate your reply.

    • Sidhik TH says:

      hi, Manohar so sad to know ur story,

      In your case, you must have apprised your employer about your peril well in advance and shouldn’t have waited for the company to terminate you and declare as abscond. Now, you may try to convince your employer of your situation by using your close aides in the company and they may help you.

  44. Hi Nash,
    I have a unique problem. I got divorced 15 days ago. Should I send my resume with my maiden last name or married last name? The reason I feel I should use my married name is because it will take some time to get all my legal documents, bank accounts and passport converted back to my maiden last name. Should I state married or divorced on my CV to employers? In case I get a job soon, I would not want any problems by declaring I’m divorced and using my maiden name because my passport has married name. What do you suggest?

    • Dear Pal,

      In my opinion the biggest mistake people make on their CVs is stating their marital status or religion. Employers dont really look for these things.

      For now, on your CV put your name as per your passport, and LATER in the second round of interviews within the company politely mention that you will be changing your last name back to your maiden name. Do not reveal your reasons for your divorce, keep it Short, Simple, and Sweet

      All the best


      P.s Sorry to hear about your divorce, hope all works out well in the future.

    • Nash,
      Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. I have submitted my CV without specifying marital status and using my married name.

      But I’m filling up the CV builder on and it is asking for marital status. I have left it as unspecified. I dont want to get into any legal troubles later for not disclosing correct info.

  45. Hi,
    I have my own business in Dubai which is managed by me but does not require 100% of my time. I am full owner but have a local sponsor who is the signatory on all documents. I have an investor visa which has just been renewed last week. However, I have just been offered a job for another company in Dubai. The HR director of the company assures me that it should not be a problem to cancel the investor visa and get new visa from their company. I just wanted assurance that this is the case as I would not ilke to encounter any problems in the future. Can anyone provide me with any assistance or expertise in this area.
    Kind Regards

  46. when i changed my job my current employer put benn on my entry so i want to know the period of my benn & how can i get the details about my benn and can i enter in DUBAI on visit visa?

  47. Sir/Madam
    i would like to get some info for my friend was working in a company as a PRO.he did own his signature on a employee salary contact certificate.where employe signature was reqired.Employe he did complain to Ministry of Labour this is not my signature and i am not agree with this salary contract.MOL called to pro for this investigatin.he went to MOL and not accept it was my signature.after 2 days PRO run away to his country with out of MOL a problem is this he want to come back to UAE ON NEW VISA.IS THE UAE GOVERNMENT WILL PERMISSION HIM ON AIRPORT ENTRY OR THEY CAN ARREST HIM?ADVISE PLEASE REGAURDS, UMAR

    • hayredin jemal says:

      kebede from ethiopia
      I have applied many different company according to my working experience. I hope I will get the work can I apply for visa center?.

  48. Sir/Madam
    i would like to get some info for my friend was working in a company as a PRO.he did own his signature on a employee salary contact certificate.where employe signature was reqired.Employe he did complain to Ministry of Labour this is not my signature and i am not agree with this salary contract.MOL called to pro for this investigatin.he went to MOL and not accept it was my signature.after 2 days PRO run away to his country with out of MOL a problem is this he want to come back to UAE ON NEW VISA.IS THE UAE GOVERNMENT WILL PERMISSION HIM ON AIRPORT ENTRY OR THEY CAN ARREST HIM?ADVISE PLEASE REGAURDS, UMAR

  49. I have recently had my employment visa cancelled and have a few days left in the country until the ‘window period’ expires.
    I hold a south african passport and british passport. The current visa is on SA passport.
    I have just acquired a job for which they will issue a visa on my GB passport. Do I still need to leave the country in order to make sure I have the ‘exit’ stamp and the formalities are completed?

    • If your SA passport has the visa expiring then you do need to make an exit with SA passport or it will be trouble for you and your sponsor as well they might put a ban on you!

  50. hi! i’m planning to get my sister here by getting her a family joining visa. she’s 34 years old and will be helping me take good care of my baby while i work. my questions are: can she work outside on a part time while she’s on a family joining visa? what are the requirements to get her a family joining visa? and where do i go to get her a family joining visa? thank u sooooooo much for the answer/s. :)

    • Sidhik TH says:

      I am on a tourist visa here in Dubai. I would like to know what is the maximum extendable period for a tourist visa and what is the minimum period after which I can again come to UAE on another visit Visa?

    • Sidhik TH says:

      Refer FAQ for secondary sponsorship